Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Be a dilettante: EAT CHEESE


A dilettante, by definition, is one who enjoys the, er, better things in life. Stimulating company, scintillating travel (yes, I said scintillating and i MEANT IT), salacious encounters, a fine wine here and there and of course, melted cheese.
Here we are, in glorious Switzerland, admiring cows, driving through windy mountains and enjoying some very fine fromage, as those silly froggies say. We've left the dirty, and i mean dirty, streets of Paris behind with a fine dilettante-esque swan song of a farewell-countless pitchers of beer served with Roman Candles, drunk in the shadows of Notre Dame until the wee hours of the night, ok, morning with some very fine NON froggy company-and have found ourselves nestled into a little mountainside watching some very content cows nibble grass.
For the next few days I fully intend to pursue my trying and exhausting career as a dilettante by meandering through the grassy green hills of the alps, eating any and all melted (and solid, I'm not discerning) cheese I can get my hands on. I have already begun this difficult project with a stop in Gruyere for not only fondue but also raclette (melted Gruyere on potatoes) I am now feeling very exhausted from this grueling day of work and must cap it off with a bottle of wine. Tomorrow commences with a young, light breakfast cheese, a stroll in the alps and a lunch of what else? Fondue.
I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment